Happy Weekend, friends! I hope you are all ready for an enjoyable weekend! This weekend, we are expecting some cold, raw, rainy weather. While that is not ideal, I am sure that outdoor activities will be cancelled and we will find ourselves with some down time. I love those days where we can stay in pajamas and watch movies, play games, or just get lost in a book, without looking at the clock. Those days are so rare, which is why I think they are so appreciated. 🙂
My slow cooker/crock pot is my absolute FAVORITE appliance. I use it during every season. It is perfect for the school year when busy schedules prevail. There’s nothing like coming home to dinner done…and only one pot to wash. I even love to use it during those summer months so I can prepare a meal without heating up the kitchen. Like I said, it is my favorite.
This recipe is also a family favorite. I originally used this recipe from All recipes Slow cooker Meat Lover’s Sauce and then made some adjustments. Rich and hearty, this sauce is absolutely delicious…like stand at the counter and eat it by the spoonful delicious.
Begin with about a 1/3 of a pound of ground sausage, a small onion, chopped, and shredded carrot. You can use turkey or chicken sausage to make it a little healthier.
Then in the same pan, brown 1 pound of lean ground beef (or ground turkey) with marjoram, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Now your kitchen begins to smell amazing. Ahhh….
Combine the sausage mixture and the beef mixture in your slow cooker.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Then add a couple of Bay leaves and some salt and pepper to taste.
Combine and cover. Cook on low for 8 hours. The longer it cooks, the more the flavors blend together, and the better it tastes.
During our rainy weekend, the aroma of this sauce will fill our home, making me look forward to dinnertime.
Enjoy this thick , chunky flavorful sauce over your favorite pasta. Add some grated Parmesan cheese and some fresh basil.
It’s absolutely delicious.
I hope you enjoy a wonderful weekend with your friends and family. And I hope you enjoy this sauce too! I would love to hear from you!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ lb. ground sausage
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- 1 29-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 29-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by sauteing onion and carrot in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add ground sausage and brown together. Once the sausage is browned, add to slow cooker.
- In the same pan, brown the lean ground beef with marjoram, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Once browned, add to slow cooker and combine with sausage mixture.
- Then add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 2 teaspoons garlic powder and 2 Bay leaves. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set slow cooker on low for 8 hours.